Friday, January 6th, 2017 | Barbara Watkins
Print our Winter Weather preparedness checklist and review it with your family!
What should you do in preparation for Winter Weather?
Winterize Your Home . . .
- Insulate walls and attic.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- Install storm windows/cover window with plastic on inside.
- Install and check smoke detectors.
Have Safe Emergency Heating Equipment if Possible . . .
- Stock up on dry firewood for fireplace/woodburning stove.
- Have an alternate source of heat that is safe. Use only the correct fuel for the unit and be sure to follow manufacture’s instructions.
- Refuel outdoors, not inside. Keep kerosene heaters at least 3 feet away from furniture and other flammable objects. If you have small children, you may wish to consider another alternative.
To Keep Pipes from Freezing . . .
- Wrap pipes in insulation or layers of old newspapers and cover with plastic to keep out moisture.
- Let faucest drip a little to avoid freezing.
- Know how to shut off water valves.
- Develop an emergency plan for your family.
- Teach children how and when to dial 9-1-1 and which radio station to listen to for emergency information.
- Stock up on emergency supplies. See list.
Listed provided by: http://talbotdes.org/plan_prepare.asp?res=winter_weather_checklist&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1